Monday, September 20, 2010

Just Another Manic Monday

    Alright, my Mondays aren't really manic. I don't particularly like Mondays, simply because they are the start of the school week, and the end of the weekend. Poor Monday really can't help where it was placed in the week - but that doesn't make us like it any more. Regardless of what day it is, I am not looking forward to my classes this week. That's not why I am writing, though! 
    I am actually writing because I have finally uploaded the pictures of my chicken's new digs, which I actually finished on Friday.  I am pretty proud of our little A-farm chicken house. It is holding 11 youngsters (I forget their exact age - I would have to look it up) with room to spare. I feel that it could comfortably hold a couple of Midget White turkeys (yes - I have been getting ideas) if moved frequently - which it will be regardless of what is in it, or a flock of maybe 4-6 standard hens or a few more bantams. You can see in the picture that is has large triangular sections. You can see two clearly in the picture, and it has four altogether. Hopefully that can give you some sort of an idea of it's size. It's current little mixed flock will be residing within it until they are at least 1/2-3/4 the size of my Rhode Island Reds, at which point they will be integrated into that flock. Unfortunately, the prettiest colored Easter Eggers turned out to be a roo, or at least was acting like one toward the Australorp. I'm going to have to give the roosters a space of their own. I want to have hatching eggs this Spring, and I want them to be purebred - since I have Buff Orps, RIR, and EE, this means that I will have to have a rooster of each breed. That, of course, means that I will have to have the roosters separate until I want hatching eggs.  That reminds me - one of my RIR hens went broody two weeks ago! That means that - with any luck - I should have a clutch of RIR chicks hatching out around this Saturday, which will be the three week mark.                                                     
I am already anxiously awaiting next Spring, when I will be starting to sell eggs. I will be having regular eggs for $2.00/doz. Actually, to be more accurate, I plan on charging $2.50 for the first time buyer, and then $2.00 for repeat purchases if they bring back the egg carton. The extra .50 cents is to cover the costs of the egg carton if it is not brought back. It is actually illegal to re-use another brand's egg carton, so that is a necessary expense. I'm really hoping to get up a client base that I can get to know, and who will bring back the cartons. I feel like there is a big enough market for farm-fresh, cage-free, healthy, all-natural eggs for me to be able to sell enough to cover the expenses of the chickens. My laying hens are fed a completely hormone and antibiotic free diet, and a vegetarian layer crumble [I don't prevent them from eating all the bugs they want, of course. ;) ] Their eggs are definitely healthy, flavorful, and worth at least $2.00. 
    I also really hope to start a booth at the local farmer's market next Spring to sell my eggs and soaps, as well as a few crafts. I would also really like to get a certified kitchen to sell my jams and jellies at the market. 2010 held great things for Wonderland (like chickens!), and I just know that 2011 is going to be even better! I'm actually hoping to expand into honey bees next Spring also, as well as meat chickens and turkeys. Maybe I am just ambitious, but I really hope that it will work out that way! The meat chickens are a definite must, and I would probably choose turkeys over bees, but I really hope to have all three! I just love delicious, fresh honey, and I think honey bees are adorable. Not to mention the anti-bacterial and anti-allergy properties of honey, or the fact that it is a natural sweetener! I would love to have enough honey to offer some to the local public (local honey is the best for allergies), as well as to eat myself, and use in my soaps and on my face (it is very good for the skin).
    Anyways, you can see in the picture to the left that the chicks are very happy to finally be out of the "brooder" and on the grass! The ones to the left are all rolling around on the ground taking dust-baths. I'm very glad they no longer need the heat lamp, especially considering the night that the storm caused the heat lamp bulb to burst (it got wet), which in turn cut one of the Buff's back above the tail, which unfortunately led to pecking. The affected Buff is actually the one standing near the feeder in the picture. You can see where he/she is missing some feathers still where it was cut and then pecked. Vaseline stopped the pecking and helped it heal, but it is still taking awhile for the feathers to grow back. I'll be glad when it's completely better!  
    I hope that you all like the layout of the pictures in this blog. I have previously had all the pictures in a straight line at the end of the blog, but I thought that this might make it more interesting! 
    I hope you all are having a great Manic Monday!
- Rach in Wonderland

No comments:

Post a Comment