Tuesday, September 21, 2010

C'mon, Clara!

    I cleaned out the kidding stall and moved Clara into it today. I have been putting that off as long as possible - I hate having to lock them away for kidding, away from their "friends," the guardians, the outdoors. Therefore, I put it off until I felt it was no longer safe to do so. Her udder is filling out a little more each day (it's not really FULL and tight yet), her ligaments are loosening but not gone (at least, as far as I can tell), and it looks like she's swallowed several basketballs and a small child. I'm keeping a really close eye on her - I do NOT want to miss her kidding. I do wish she would hurry up, though! On the one hand, I realize that it is still very hot out during the day, but on the other hand...well, I just want to be able to stop worrying about it! Haha. The temperatures are supposed to start being more comfortable next week, so maybe she'll kid then. That would be ideal, but you know how goats are - they never want to do what you want them to. ;) 
    I really do feel for her being moved to the stall, though. I know a lot of people allow their goats to give birth in the pasture, but I don't feel like that is the safest option here. Maybe one day, when I have a separate pen strictly for new mothers and their kids like I plan to, that might be an option - or I would at least give them the option of kidding outside if they wanted. It's out of the question right now, though. I don't want any does kidding in a pen with other does who aren't also late in the family way, because they might be more inclined to butt the newborn kids. I also don't want her kidding near Lakota. I think that Mellow would be fine, but Lakota is still a puppy and might try to play with a kid - that would not end well, as I'm sure you can guess. In the end, I feel that it's best to have control over the kidding environment by putting the does in the stall(s) in the barn. It definitely lessens the risks. Clara was displeased, though, which I expected. She didn't want to leave the fence, and she didn't like being in the stall. She isn't completely alone, though - Rumor and  Trouble are next door. They don't have access to the same areas, but they can see and touch each other through a gate. I would never want her to be completely alone (or any of them, for that matter). I am going to have to switch around that arrangement soon, though, now that I know Rumor is not pregnant (via blood test). I also need to get electric fencing around the buck pen so I can keep the whether inside of it...oy. It seems like sometimes, no matter how much I get done, there is still so much left to do! I can't wait until my list of outdoor improvements/changes come down to nothing more than normal, everyday chores. That might be a while though....
    I really hope Clara kids soon! I'm itching for some babies - it has been way too long since I've had any! I'm also itching to put my milking stand to it's intended use! I can't wait for that sweet, rich milk! And the cheese and yogurt I intend to make from it....mmmm, yummy! I finally bought my Maggidan's Milker (http://maggidans.com/milker.htm) today. It is/was actually a birthday present that I just hadn't got around to ordering yet. I still plan to learn to hand milk, which I have never done before, but I knew that with classes, possibly small teats (I expect that more out of my first fresheners than Clara), beginner milking does, and a beginner milking human that I would need some help making things go faster. Also, the milker will allow me to keep the milk clean and away from kicking hooves! None of my girls have been milked extensively (I believe Clara has been milked some, but not a lot), and I don't want to loose that precious milk to a kicky doe. I still haven't figured out how I am going to work my milking schedule. I have one very early "night" class that would require me to milk around 3:00pm just to give myself enough time, and the other night class would require me to milk around 4:00pm for enough time...Of course, you are supposed to milk on a steady schedule for the best production, which would mean milking at 3:00am and 3:00pm every day! Now, aside from the obvious reasons that wouldn't work, I have no electricity in my barn, so I have to milk during the daylight hours. What I think is going to happen is that I will have to milk only once a day, around 7:30 in the morning. I am disappointed that I will only be able to milk once a day, because that will cut down on the production, but it is better than the alternatives. I hope I can work my schedule out better next semester for milking. 
    Well, I have rambled on enough! I hope everyone is having a great week!
-Rach in Wonderland

No comments:

Post a Comment