Friday, August 8, 2014

The Best Darn Cobbler You Will Ever Eat

Okay, perhaps that is an exaggeration. Or perhaps "the best" is just determined by personal taste. Either way, this is a really great cobbler.

Doesn't that look amazing?
Now, I can't claim this recipe as my own. I'm not sure who deserves the credit, either. My mom found the recipe but did not write down the source. Whoever came up with has something better than the credit, though. They have cobbler.

Cobbler is one of my all time favorite desserts. In fact, it is in my top five: Cheesecake, Fruit Pies (especially peach and apple), fried fruit pies (especially peach or apricot), fruit cobbler, and ice cream (not necessarily in that order). As you can see, I love desserts that highlight fruits. Therefore, pies and cobblers dominate my favorite sweets. (I also love all things dairy, so of course cheesecake and ice cream make the list!)

We have made this cobbler several times now. The first time we actually devoured the entire pan in a single day. We also tried a couple of different sized pans. Using a 13 x 9 pan results in a thinner crust that has more crispness around the edges. Using a smaller pan, such as a 9 x 9, gives a thicker crust with more of a cakey texture. Experiment with pans and find your favorite. We personally prefer the 13 x 9. 

My favorite thing about this recipe is how buttery it is. Fruity + buttery + the texture contrasts of the crispy edges, softer centers, and delicate fruit make this recipe a winner.  It's also versatile, as are most cobbler recipes. Make it with whatever fruit you want and adjust the seasonings to compliment the fruit. Peach goes wonderfully with the addition of cinnamon. 

Also, while it's definitely a treat food, it's not that unhealthy either. When made with real-food ingredients like raw pastured dairy and fresh fruit it's a much better choice than many desserts. Be sure to use organic natural sugar, or at least pure cane sugar. I'm not sure that the sugar could be substituted for honey or another natural sweetener, because it is used to draw moisture out of the fruit as well as sweeten. I may have to experiment with that.

Anyway, without further ado, here is the perfect recipe to use up your over abundance of spring and summer fruits:

Fruit Cobbler

2.5 cups fresh fruit, such as blackberries
1 cup sugar 
1 cup flour 
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp sea salt 
1 cup milk 
1 stick butter, melted 

Add sugar to berries and let sit for 25-30 minutes. Preheat oven to 375.

Stir together flour, baking powder, salt, and milk with a wooden spoon. Stir in the melted butter and hand mix until well incorporated and there are few clumps left. Pour into a baking dish (9 x 13 for thinner crust, smaller for thicker). Add fruit mixture evenly over batter. Bake for 45 minutes or slightly less in a 13 x 9 pan. 

Let sit for 15 minutes (if you can!) and serve warm with fresh homemade ice cream.

Enjoy!

P.S. I secretly want to try this with apples when they're ripe this fall. I'm thinking apples will require a pre-cobbler saute to soften them. I will share my results when the time comes!

No comments:

Post a Comment