Friday, August 15, 2014

Safety on a Farm


I honestly thought that when I sat down to write this, it would be with a heavy heart. My decision to write a post about farm safety came after reading about a 7 year old Amish boy getting caught in a hay mower. I didn't know anything at the time other than that he was caught, a helicopter had been called, and his neighbor was asking for serious prayers. I truly thought the next update would be that he had passed, but thank God that was not the case! He lost his leg, but he is alive. And so, my heart is not heavy for this post.

But farm safety is a huge issue, and this little boy was one of the lucky ones. According to Cultivate Safety, a child dies from a farm-related injury every 3 days and 38 children a day are injured on farms. Most of these kids are not working, either. I know first hand how dangerous farming can be, because my dad's family farms. My dad also farmed when I was child, and one day I even became part of the statics. I was also one of the very lucky ones, however. As I was climbing out of a tractor (facing the wrong way), the hydraulic door swung back and hit me in the face, busting my mouth and moving my front teeth. I was fortunate to not lose my teeth from that accident, and knowing what I know now about farm safety, I know I could have had it much worse. 

Every farm family has stories to tell about injuries. My dad stabbed himself in the leg trying to cut baling twine out of a hay baler. My grandfather has been gored by a boar hog. My cousin just recently broke his fingers when they got caught in a hay auger. And recently I have seen way too many posts on social media about kids getting hurt on farms: the Amish boy who lost his leg, a child who died after getting kicked in the chest by a horse, and another child who developed infection after being kicked in the eye by a horse. Farming is a wonderful lifestyle, but trust me when I tell you farming is dangerous

Unfortunately, children are very susceptible to farm accidents, whether they're helping out or just hanging around. They lack the experience and mental development to react quickly to danger. And there is plenty of danger on a farm! Equipment, even in experienced hands, is dangerous. Whether it is in use or being repaired, it can quickly injure a person. There are often medications or chemicals (even organic ones) on a farm that are harmful if inhaled, swallowed, or touched. And animals, no matter how well behaved, are always a risk. Your most beloved horse or sweetest pig can have a bad day and easily injure or kill you. When you're looking at livestock that can weigh anywhere from a 200 lb sheep to a 2,000 lb bull...there's no way you can control them if they decide they don't want to be controlled. They are faster and stronger than the fittest  adult man, much less a small child.

One thing that also really concerns me regarding safety is how many people with no farming background are now starting farms or homesteads. I think that is really wonderful, because we need more small farms and more involvement with our food. But the darker side to this is that farming often has a steep learning curve. People who have no first-hand experience or knowledge, and sadly often don't have a resource nearby so they can learn and gain experience before being on their own, can be blissfully unaware of how dangerous a farm is at times. And in that moment when something happens and you're suddenly faced with a scary situation and no clue what to do, it's hard to react quickly. I know because I've been there with my own animals! When a horse 5x your size decides to crowd your space and get spooky, it's frightening...and I have been around horses my whole life. Take someone who hasn't been around horses (or whatever other animal or piece of equipment) their whole lives, and it can be even scarier.

But I really don't want people to be discouraged from farming or homesteading. I just want them to be aware of the risks. So I wanted to compile a few tips for being as safe as possible in a farm setting. This is what I came up with:
  1. Always supervise children on a farm. Always. I don't care how obedient, responsible, or smart your child is. Do. Not. Leave. Them. Unsupervised.
  2. Wear closed-toed shoes. I have a really bad habit of wearing flip flops around the barnyard, and have regretted it more than once.
  3. Turn off all equipment before working to repair it. No matter how quick or simple the repair will be, shut it off.
  4. Wear protective clothing and gear when needed. Don't neglect this, especially eye protection, gloves, and face masks. I know it's a hassle, but it's not worth the risk.
  5. Don't let children be alone with animals, no matter how trusted. Even your sweetest goat can suddenly go rogue, and animals also don't understand that they can hurt humans without meaning to. I was knocked out by a Lamancha as a child. It wasn't being malicious, it was just being a goat.
  6. Don't let children operate machinery. Just because they physically can run it, doesn't mean they are mentally mature enough to run it.
  7. Don't let children run and play in the barnyard or near farming equipment.
  8. Always be alert when working with equipment or animals. Not just for your own safety, but to watch for others who might be coming to get you for lunch, tell you someone called, etc.
  9. Know the proper techniques and safety procedures for whatever tool you are using. If you've never operated it before, have someone teach you.
  10. Don't try to work in dangerous weather. If there is lightning, flooding, dangerously strong winds, or tornadoes, just go inside and wait it out.
  11. Don't play loud music while running machinery of any kind. You might miss hearing someone yelling at you.
  12. Don't wear jewelry while working on the farm, especially rings. Flat, post earrings are safe -- not hoops or dangles. If you have long hair, pull it back as well. It can also get caught in machinery.
  13. Never turn your back on an intact male animal, or any unfamiliar animal, especially during breeding season or when a female in heat is nearby.
  14. Don't keep dangerous or aggressive animals around. If you know a particular animal is dangerous, it needs to be put down or, in some cases, neutered. If you are waiting to put an aggressive animal down or alter it until after the breeding season, never tend to it alone and never let children tend to it. Put signs on its enclosure that it is dangerous. Keep the gate locked (not just latched).
  15. Clearly mark "off limits" areas to visitors or children. Any area which stores dangerous machinery or tools needs to be locked up so kids can't have access.
  16. Avoid barbed wire. It's really not worth it. Just spend a little more for a better quality fencing material. If you don't, the first time you, an animal, or a child gets wrapped in it, you will regret it. If you do have barbed wire, never electrify it.
  17. If you're working alone, let people know when to expect you. Sometimes farmers will work well past dark, so if you plan to be home by a certain time tell someone so they know to look for you if you aren't back.
  18. Never do farm work while intoxicated in any way. This includes being sleep-deprived. And never smoke in a barn or a dry field. (Or at all, if you value your lungs.)
  19. Don't leave jugs of chemicals or medications where children can reach them.
  20. Use common sense. If it seems like a bad idea, don't do it.
  21. Bonus: Accidents will happen no matter how careful you are, so just be prepared by staying calm, knowing how to do basic first aid, and having an emergency first aid kit.

There are many ways for children to be safely involved in farming, and many ways to prevent injury. There's no need to take excess risks. Be safe out there!

Cheers

No comments:

Post a Comment