Sunday, October 10, 2010

New Chicks


    Hello, everyone! I'm sorry that it has been so long since I have blogged. School has been keeping me pretty busy, but I can't really complain. I've still got more free time than a lot of students. Anyways, I just wanted to drop by and share some news! One of my Rhode Island Red hens went broody a little bit ago, and we allowed her to set her eggs. She in turn rewarded us with seven healthy little chicks the last week of September. They are adorable little things. 

    Everything is going great, and I can only think of two negative things; 1. I am still impatiently awaiting Clara';s kidding. She is absolutely huge. I really thought she would have gone by now, but her udder is still not "tight" and she shows no signs of labor yet. It's driving me nuts! 2. It needs to rain! It is unbelievably dry here. The ground is just nothing but dust, the grass is dying, and the dryness is not helping the horses hooves, which seem to start chipping again as soon as the farrier leaves. I can't remember it ever being so dry this time of year. Our weather seems to favor extremes of late. 
    Yesterday I had planned to be in Ethridge, Tennessee for the second day, but the other person who was supposed to go became ill, so we had to postpone the trip. Instead, my mother, Sarah, and I went to Ada's Unusual Country Store, Heritage Days at Ames Plantation, and Backermann's Bakery and Cheese Shoppe (my favorite - and only, really - local-ish Mennonite store). At the festival, my flip flop broke, so I had to walk around barefoot. It was a little embarrassing at first, but I got over it. =) Perhaps the homemade Mennonite Ice Cream helped, hehe. 
   
Well, I hope your Octobers are filled with delight! 
-Rach in Wonderland

No comments:

Post a Comment