Sunday, July 14, 2013

Blackberries in Framboise

Those who follow me on facebook got a sneak peek at the end result of my first canning foray this year. I've  been canning -- or assisting in canning -- since a very young age. I can remember being in the kitchen as my grandmother and mother put up muscadine jelly before I was even tall enough to see into the pot...but I still got to lick the spoon. ;)

But as much as I love jam and jelly making, I wanted to try something I hadn't done yet this year. So I bought the newest edition of the Ball Company canning guide and sniffed out a recipe. That's how my mother and I ended up going to three different wine and liquor stores to find Framboise for these blackberries. When we finally got back from that and other shopping, it was already well into the evening, and it ended up being well after midnight before we were done canning.

But it was so worth it.

If you enjoy putting up preserves, you have to try this recipe. The tartness of the blackberries pairs perfectly the sweetness of the raspberry liqueur, and the nutmeg and cinnamon adds another depth of unexpected flavor. It's perfect over ice cream or in kefir or yogurt. It would also be the perfect match for a lemon pound cake.

It's a very simple recipe with few ingredients. Just blackberries (more in the stainless bowl), lemon peel, nutmeg, cinnamon stick, sugar, water, and the Framboise. (Ignore the olive oil bottle in the background.)


The first step is juice one pint of blackberries, which is very simple. You just heat the blackberries until they are all hot and soft, then press them in a sieve or cheese cloth.


The end result is a beautiful purple juice.


Next is making an infused simple syrup with the cinnamon stick, fresh ground nutmeg, grated lemon peel, and sugar; then you strain it to remove the cinnamon. Your kitchen is going to smell so good during this step.


Next everything is added back into the pot: the simple syrup, remaining blackberries, reserved juice, and the Framboise. It is then brought to a boil and put into the jars to be water-bathed.


The end result is 3-4 half-pints of blackberries (we got three, but I packed them very full) and a lot of leftover liquid. I was unwilling to just waste the remaining sauce, so I jarred it up and processed it as well. In the end I had three half-pints of berries and four of liquid. In the future, I will probably pack my berries looser.


I enjoyed a bit of the sauce over ice cream before canning the rest of my berries (which I just put up as for baking). It is so yummy. 

It is a bit pricey due to the expense of the Framboise, but I believe at least two batches could be gotten out of one bottle. Alternatively, the left over  Framboise could be used in mixed drinks as well. Either way, I think the berries are yummy enough to warrant a little extra expense. :)


Next spring the first thing I will be making with my goats' milk is fresh homemade ice cream, and you can guess what I'll be topping it with!

Blackberries in Framboise 

3 pints blackberries
2 cups sugar
1 stick cinnamon, broken
1 tablespoon grated lemon peel
1/2 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
2 cups water
1/2 cup Framboise, or other raspberry brandy
Extract juice from 1 pint blackberries. Measure 1/2 cup juice; set aside.
Combine sugar, cinnamon stick, lemon peel, nutmeg, and water in a large saucepot. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer 5 minutes.
Strain syrup; return to saucepot.
Add blackberry juice, remaining blackberries, and raspberry brandy; bring to a boil.
Pack hot blackberries into hot jars, leaving 1/2 inch headspace.
Ladle hot syrup over blackberries, leaving 1/2 inch headspace. Remove air bubbles.
Adjust two piece caps. Process 10 minutes in a boiling-water canner.
Recipe from the Ball Blue Book Guide to Preserving, 2013 edition. I highly recommend the Ball Blue Books to home canners, new and experienced alike.

No comments:

Post a Comment