Friday, October 16, 2009

Fall is in the air!

I don't know about your neck of the woods, but here at Wonderland fall is certainly in the air! Oh, how I love this season. There is something so romantic and delicious about this time of year. The air is cool and crisp, the fall colors are in full bloom, scarecrows and pumpkins abound, and - if I may have a "girly" moment - I love fall clothes. Scarves and jackets in deep autumn colors are such a delight.

Of course, along with fall come the fall chores. First on my list of chores today was making lye soap with my grandmother and aunt. Of course, that's not really a "fall" chore per-say, but it was a lot of fun and good bonding time. My second chore was to see Where the Wild Things Are with friends! Okay, okay, that is also not a chore. But the making the cookies for my friends certainly was! But baking is another one of those enjoyable chores. I'll give you the recipes for the cookies at the end of the blog. Kind of like the toy in the bottom of the cereal box, don't you agree?

As for serious chores, there are several of those, too. Today I mucked out the goat house and refilled it with old hay for them. Oh, and as far as that goes, I have a story to share. We just got them new hay, which they do not seem to like at all. I can't really blame them, as it's the first cut, so it's a little stalky, but it was free from family. Well, I gave them their new hay and then mucked out their house. Meanwhile, my dad brought me a bale of the old hay for me to use as bedding. As soon as he set it over the fence, what do they do? They jump on the old, dusty hay like it's candy, while the new hay sat barely touched. Imps, every one of them! But I do love them so.

There are still more chores to be done in this beautiful autumn weather. The kidding stall must be cleaned out for Rumor's kidding in November, I will be getting CAE tests run, and electric fence needs to go down around the goat pen; our LGD Mellow has learned to climb! We also have to build a permanent hay rack and a rain cover for their food, minerals, and baking soda. But, truthfully, I can't imagine a better time of year to be outdoors doing some good old fashioned work!

One last thing. This is just an interesting tidbit of information. Clara, who was not friendly at her previous home, has become one of the biggest attention hogs in the herd! She loves having her head scratched, and shares Ariel's opinion that fingers are indeed food! She really has turned into such a sweetheart. Of course, I love all my goats, but it's definitely a plus when they warm up to you. I am extremely glad Clara came to live with me. I contribute her turn-around to my small herd size. While I would like to have a larger herd one day, having a small one definitely has it's advantages, one of them being that each goat gets more one-on-one attention.

Alrighty, as for those cookie recipes, you can find them here:

These are "Forgotten Kiss" cookies, and are wonderful. I used mini-chocolate chips rather than the mini-M&M's shown. Also, if you can't eat cookie dough with raw eggs in it, this recipe has no eggs, so you can eat all the dough you want! (Though I admit, I eat any all cookie doughs...hehe.)

http://cravingcomfort.blogspot.com/2008/12/forgotten-kiss-cookies.html

This recipe made the BEST oatmeal raisin cookies I have ever had! The only adjustment I made here was that I used a whole cup of raisins, and omitted the nuts (I hate nuts!). Also, I had to flatten them, as they did not spread on their own.

http://www.cookiemadness.net/?p=1047

Also, I make very simple peanut butter cookies that are scrumptious. Simply combine 1 egg, 1 cup sugar, and 1 cup peanut butter. Make them whatever size you want, and squish their tops down with a fork, then bake them at 350 degrees for 8-10 minutes. ALWAYS start out with 8 minutes, they're very prone to getting too crunchy if left in too long. I love this recipe because it's so easy, easy to remember, and can be expanded or downsized with minimal math.

Now that you're done reading, go do your chores, enjoy the fall, and reward yourself with some cookies!! As for me, tonight in Wonderland I'm relaxing with some hot cocoa, some rented movies, a comfy blanket, and my PJ's!

Stay warm!

-Rachel in Wonderland


No comments:

Post a Comment